Atlantic Coast - Nature Park – Rota Vicentina
May: 01.05.-07.05. (women only) & 22.05.2016 - 29.05.2016
October: 01.10.2016 – 08.10.2016
- The donkey - a wonderful travel companion & luggage transporter
- The wild beauty of Costa Vicentina Nature Park
- Hiking along the coast and backland
- Stunning coastline
- Traditional rural backlands
- Moorish convent ruins 12th century
- Beautiful beaches and cliff sceneries
- Tasty Portuguese fresh fish and wines
- The limpid and clear water of the Atlantic
- Pleasant and friendly Accommodations
Beaches: Amado, Bordeira, Canal, Arrifana, Monte Clerigo and Amoreira
Donkey hiking on the long distance track Rota Vicentina, (RV) on the following sections:- Historical Way (HW):
- Carrapateira – Arrifana;
- Arrifana – Aljezur;
- Fishermen Trails (FT):
- Pontal da Carrapateira Circuit;
- Ponta da Atalaia Circuit;
- Amoreira Beach Circuit
7 days stay/ 6 Nights/ 5 Days donkey trekking
D1: Arrival Carrapateira & Introduction to the donkey handling, Acc Pensao das DunasD2: 10km Pontal da Carrapateira, Acc Pensao das DunasD3: 18,6km Carrapateira – Beach Canal – Arrifana, Acc Youth HostelD4: 11km Arrifana - Monte Clerigo, Acc Casa da OliveiraD5: 12km Monte Clerigo - Aljezur - Serrão, Acc Camp Site SerraoD6: 12,5km Serrão – Amoreira Beach - Donkey Farm, Acc Amazigh D. HostelD7: Departure from Aljezur
The whole tour guides us through Vicentine Coast Natural Park. We meet and start at Carrapateira, a friendly sunny white washed little village where farmer, fishermen and surfers live. From here we head off right away to the fantastic Atlantic coast line, hike safely over the cliffs coming across various viewpoints, with superb views of the escarpments, the sands of Bordeira and Amado and also the ruins of an ancient Islamic fishermen’s settlement.The following days the route leads our way northwards switching from backland half-wild, backland with eucalyptus, pine, cork oak woods and macchie where rock rose (cistus landanifer), arbutus unedo, heather and lavender grow to unique cliff sceneries. We stop at Arrifana, 100m above the cliffs, a huge bay with beach and traditional fishing harbour. Singular beauty, especially in spring, the endemic and Mediterranean vegetation. On the following sector, next stop Monte Clerigo, a charming 1970ies seaside summer village. We walk through the alleys of historic Aljezur, reigned over by a 10th century fortress before our hike finds its end on the donkey farm in the backland. Before we say good bye to the sea at magnificent Amoreira dune beach.
The beautiful effects of donkey trekking: thanks to his regular rhythm and calmness we feel like meditating and our long eared travel companion opens hearts and souls in us and the people we meet who show us a happy smile and ask to cuddle the donkey. Touching!
Donkey handling: After the first practical instruction on the day of arrival, we will have a daily routine with our long eared companion which means every morning packing our luggage in the special bags, preparing the donkey (feeding & grooming) for the tour and, finally loading him. During the tour we give him (and us) some rest, while we picnic he uses his time to graze and, at the end of the day we will groom and feed him again, after his mobile paddock is prepared.
On our journeys each two people enjoy the company of one donkey. He will carry our (and his) luggage, max. 11kg/person. The donkeys own equipment weights 8kg.
Nº of participants: Min. 4, max. 10.
In twin room: 870€ pp
Single supplement: 140€ pp
- Bed & breakfast twin room/ apartment, w/ private bath, WC
- 7 days local tour guide (fluent English and French speaking; mother language: German)
- 5 days donkey rent & trekking equipment (saddle & luggage bags)
- Introduction to the donkey handling (day 1)
- PDF-brochure about donkey trekking Algarve
- Transfer donkey farm – accommodation (day 6)
- 5x Lunch snack
- 6x Dinner
- Arrival Carrapateira & departure Aljezur (we would gladly assist)
- Personal expenses
- Insurance for illness and cancellation of the journey.